College of Pathologists, Inc.
History of the American Osteopathic College of Pathologists
In August of 1953, the initial letters for organization of a college or association of pathologists in the osteopathic profession were sent out to all the practicing pathologists in osteopathic institutions know to the American Osteopathic Board of Pathology.
The call for an organizational meeting was issued for July 12, 1954 at 9:00am in the Blue Room of the King Edward Hotel in Toronto, Canada. Member present at this first meeting were Drs. Dominic Ambrosecchia, Norman W Arends, Otterbein Dressler, George E Himes, William J Loos, Waldo B Miller, O Edwin Owen, George Robinson and Arthur L Wickens.
The constitution and bylaws were adopted at this session under the name of the American Osteopathic Association of Pathologists.
It was unanimously agreed at this meeting that those eligible for membership in the association who signed the petition for affiliation with the American Osteopathic Association would become charter members.
On July 14, 1955, the first annual seminar of the American Osteopathic College of Pathologists (the name being changed during the year by mutual consent of the membership to conform with AOA regulations) under the chairmanship of the late Robert P Morhardt, DO was held in Los Angeles, CA.
The election of the first Board of Governors was at this time. President George E Himes, Vice President Basil K Woods, President W Harriet Davis and Secretary-Treasurer Arthur L Wickens.
Members of the Board of Governors: Ruth VE Waddel, AWMazerski and George E Miller. Dr. Loos moved that the meetings be held during the AOA conventions. In 1956, the minutes stated that the secretary was instructed to write the AOA Board of Trustees "that all registered osteopathic hospitals be required to use osteopathic pathologists."
1958 recorded the first discussion about the creation of Fellowships by the College - the title of Fellow to members deserving such honor, pending incorporation.
In 1959, the Board was enlarged from seven to nine members. The dues were increased from $25.00 to $50.00 A memorial prize was established for a winning paper presented by a resident. In that same year, Otterbein Dressler gave the AT Still Memorial Lecture at the AOA.
After several attempts at incorporation of the College in the State of Michigan, with consideration of several other states including Missouri, the American Osteopathic College of Pathologists was incorporated in the State of Illinois. A charter was granted by Charles F Carpentier, Secretary of State, October 27, 1960.
As stated in the Charter, "The purpose of purposes for which the corporation is organized are:
1. To seek to improve the practice of pathology.
2. To encourage the application of Osteopathic concepts in the field of Pathology.
3. To study and promote such other arts and sciences as may directly may directly or indirectly improve the practice of Pathology.
4. To increase knowledge of the practice of pathology of such osteopathic physicians as are considered qualified.
To maintain and promote the highest moral and ethical standards in the practice of Pathology."
Officially named in the Articles of Incorporation as the first Board of Governors were Drs. Norman W Arends, Francis S Buck, Arthur L Wickens, George E Himes, Ruth E Waddel, W Harriet Davis, AE Nichols, William L Silverman, and Miguel M Alvarado.
In that same year, mention was made to contact the AOA in order that the College be represented on the AOA Committee of Hospitals. It was noted that the initials AOCP were being used by the College of Proctologists, therefore, this College be known as the AOCPth.
A pathologists placement bureau was established. A motion was passed that "at least one paper was required for residents in training programs," and approval was received from the Board to print a directory which would include the past presidents, constitution and bylaws, past meetings, possible history, officers, etc., in addition to member information.
The College didn't have a gavel for its meeting, however, it was noted in the minutes that, "because we are such an orderly group, no gavel is necessary."
Posthumous Fellowships were awarded in 1961 to Drs. William J Loos, Robert P Morhardt, Donald Roach, and Basil K Woods. Fellowship was also awarded to Otterbein Dressler, and it was recommended that a key be given in addition to the certificate of Fellowship.
A discussion regarding a registry of Pathology relative to study sets of slides was first noted in 1961. In that same year, submitte to the Board and to the AOA. Were proposed constitution and bylaws, for a new society, the Osteopathic Cytology Society.
In 1962, the Osteopathic Cytology Society was approved by the AOA and had affiliate status with the AOCP.
This was also the time of the "rift" in California. The College passed a resolution that "we encourage the efforts of our California colleagues to be reinstated with full privileges."
In 1965 it was first suggested that midyear meetings be held. This was instituted the next Spring, with a meeting held in Detroit, MI, April 1966.
In 1968, a committee was formed to establish a Founders Memorial Lecture. This would be an award to a resident for an outstanding paper. A grant was received toward funding, and it was decided that $250 would be give for the first place winner, $100 for second place, and $50 for third place, with the stipulation that the money must be used to attend the Annual Seminar and present the paper.
The first awards were given in 1971 for first, second and third places to Drs. Edward M Cohen, Louis Lang III, and Charles L Woods.
Also in 1971, a resolution was sent to the AOA "that we institute a straight pathology internship in lieu of a rotating internship, which would then replace the first year of residency training."
In 1973, the bylaws and constitution were approved for the establishment of an Auxiliary to the AOCP. In that same year, dues were increased to $150 (the first increase since 1955.) The "th" was also dropped from the AOCP(th.)
The Board of Pathology successfully completed arrangements for a certifying examination in Forensic Pathology and on physician was certified. Also, the AOA notified the College that a conjoined board, the American Osteopathic Board of Nuclear Medicine was established, composed of pathologists, internists, and radiologists.
1974 was an active year. There was considerable discussion on the AOCP position relative to DO's that took MD training programs and then working in osteopathic hospitals. It was determined that no course of action was possible at this time.
A resolution was passed regarding the slide seminar. It stated that each member submit at least one case per year of wet tissue, slides, etc. A charge of $50 per slide set would be charged to those not supplying a case for study.
The Board stated that since no constitution anf bylaws had been submitted to the AOA for approval, the Ladies Auxiliary was not an official auxiliary. Also, since the Osteopathic Cytology Society had been inactive for many years, the Board recommended that it be dissolved.
Finally, the AOCP left the AOA to have its annual meeting with the Annual Clinical Association of the Osteopathic Surgeons (ACAOS) at the Americana Hotel in Bal Harbour, FL
Three major events took place in 1975. The Clearinghouse was officially established with a protocol to be developed; the College was to officially recognize a pathologist of the year, and Otterbein Dressler was named as the Osteopathic Pathologist of the Year. The College again met with the ACAOS, this year at the Holden Hotel in Washington, DC.
In 1976 a motion was passed to approve a "straight internship in Pathology." This was submitte to the AOA for approval. The College also met with the ACAOS at the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans, LA.
In 1977, the AOA contacted the College stating that "straight internship in Pathology is not appropriate at the present time."
In this same year, there was discussion that the Academy of Professors of Pathology be recognized as an affiliate of the College. This was passed subject to compilation of a manual identifying the purpose of this academy and submitting it to the Board of Governors for approval.
The AOCP decided that it would not meet with the ACAOS and returned to meeting with the AOA during the Convention.
In November 1978 CLIA (clinical laboratory guidelines) became effective, mandating proficiency testing, quality assurance programs, stringent standards, and monitoring by the Center for Disease Control through the AOA.
The College was asked by the AOA to participate and direct a program of laboratory inspections and develop a document for surveys. A standing committee, Inspections and Laboratory Accreditation was formed by the College.
In October 1979 there was a positive federal action. It was announce to the membership that President Jimmy Carter signed into law and osteopathic Certificate of Need.
This elation was short lived, however, when in 1980 the College was informed by the AOA that the AOA had lost its "deemed status" as an accrediting body - a situation that remained in limbo for nearly two years. However, the AOCP remained as AOA inspectors for the laboratories as a part of the hospital accreditation inspection team.
One of the major causes for concern in 1981 was the decreased number of residents in training probrams. The consensus of the Board was that it was because of the 1+ 4 years, internship plus residency training. Eight hospitals were listed as not having had residents in over three years.
There was a steady decline in attendance at the annual meeting and the College opted to return to the ACAOS meeting in Boston, MA
In 1982, the main topic at Board and College meetings was the number of osteopathic physicians taking MD training programs.
The College met with the ACAOS in San Francisco, CA.
In 1983, inflation was taking its toll and the College raised its deus for the second time. The federal government was getting more and more involved in medical care. In a report to the Board, a prediction was made that Medicare would br bankrupt in three to five years; that government and hospitals would dictate to physicians; that the quality of healthcare would decrease; and that DRG's would extend to all services.
Motions were passed regarding the two AOCP awards. The memorial lecture was to be known as the Otterbein Dressler Memorial Address, and the pathologist of the year award called the Distinguished Service Award.
Although the College met with the ACAOS in Toronto, CAN, they decided that it would not meet with them any longer, returning to the AOA Convention.
The AOCP returned to meeting with the AOA Convention 1984 in Las Vegas, NV
In 1986 the Bylaws Committee submitted new bylaws providing for Active Membership for DO's having taken allopathic training. This was presented to the AOA Board of Trustees but disapproved.
The AOA announced that it had formed a "Task Force to Explore Alternative Approval Mechanism for Postdoctoral Training" to further study this situation.
In 1987, the (AOA) Task force to Explore Alternative Approval Mechanism for Postdoctoral Training began its meetings. The Task Force was to have a final report for the AOA Annual Board of Trustees/House of Delegates meeting in July, 1988.
Other new action by the AOA was the trial program of MD internships, which would be in effect until 1989.
Another federal program was established, called, "Title IV, Practitioner Adverse Credentialing - Data Bank." This was to go into effect as soon as a contract was awarded to devise the database. Among other things, in the case of a new physician asking for privileges, it would require hospitals to check the individual physician database prior to granting privileges. It would also require a review of this database for all physicians each time privileges were renewed. Any malpractice suits, litigation, adverse action, etc., was to be made a part of the physician's file.
At the 1988 meeting, the College first reviewed a bylaws change which would be presented to the membership for action in 1989. This was necessary to conform with the new AOA guidelines and revision of the active membership category - a result of the Task Force.
A Relative Value Scale (RVS) for Pathology Services was mandated by the federal government with a report by Health & Human Services to Congress on April 1, 1989.
July 1989 was the date set by the AOA as the cut-off date for physicians finished allopathic training to apply for program approval of those programs not previously recognized as AOA-approved. One specific requirement was that there had tob e a rotating AOA-approved internship to be considered eligible.
By virtue of the bylaw change, and at the 1989 annual meeting, the College recommended approval for its active member to fall under these new Task Force guidelines.
The American Osteopathic Association at its midyear 1990 Board meeting passed a resolution to allow each specialty college a seat in the AOA House of Delegates. "They shall have voice without vote."
In 1991 the membership at its Annual Meeting, renamed the Slide Seminar, "Morris R Osattin Memorial Slide Seminar. Dr. Osattin was responsible for producing the slide boxes for the membership and presenting the accompanying seminar each year.
The American Osteopathic Association at its Annual meeting in 1992 granted voice with vote to specialty colleges seated in the AOA House of Delegates.
In 1993, following the AOA '92 resolution granting specialty colleges a right to vote at the AOA House of Delegates, President Arthur P Pancioli appointed Dr Lillian Hynes-Longendorfer as the first representative to this new position.
At it's Annual Meeting, October 1995, the general membership approved a revision to the Bylaws, Rules and Regulations. Major changes included new rules and categories for the designation of the title of "Fellow" and new categories of membership.